Sedimentary Rocks are formed by the deposition, sedimentation, and lithification of sediments over a long period of time. The Main Characteristics of Sedimentary Rocks are
Characteristics of sedimentary rocks
- Sedimentary rocks are also known as secondary rocks as they are formed from the sediments of other rocks denuded and deposited by the agents of gradation.
- They are largely found on the Earth’s surface, covering 75% area of the Earth.
- These rocks are generally not crystalline. They are soft and have many layers as they are formed because of the deposition of sediments.
- These rocks may have remains of plants and animals in between various layers.
- Sedimentary rocks may be subdivided on the basis of the nature of sediment, origin and composition.
Also, Read Rocks