Eight committees were part of the Constituent Assembly. Dr. B. R. Ambedkar was appointed as the Chairman of the Drafting Committee which was responsible for drafting the Constitution of India.
The draft of the Constituent Assembly was discussed clause by clause in the first reading. The draft then underwent the second reading which was completed on 17 October 1949. It then went through the third and final reading which was completed on 26 November 1949.
- Two years, eleven months, and 17 days were taken by the Constituent Assembly to prepare the Constitution of India.
- The Constitution of India came into force on 26 January 1950.
- After the Constitution came into force, C. Rajagopalachari became the Governor-General of free India.
- The Constituent Assembly became the Provisional Parliament until the new general elections were held in 1951–52.
- Our Constitution came into force on 26 January because it was on this day that the call for ‘Poorna Swaraj’ or ‘complete independence’ was given by the leaders in 1929 at the Lahore Session of the Congress.
The President is the head of the Indian Union and is the supreme commander of the defense forces of India. The President is elected indirectly by the members of the Electoral College. Read more