Sources of water pollution which cause an inflow of pollutants over a large area are known as nonpoint sources. Example: Runoff from agricultural fields.
Steps Taken to Reduce Water Pollution from Nonpoint Sources
The following steps should be taken to reduce water pollution from non-point sources:
- Two separate drainages should be built for sewage and rainwater so that both rainwater and sewage do not overflow together.
- Nitrogen-fixing plants should be planted to reduce the use of chemical fertilizers.
- Agrochemicals and pesticides should be used judiciously to prevent them from draining into a water body.
- Efforts should be made to prevent the runoff of manures.
- Biofertilizers and biopesticides should be used.
Also, Read What is Water Pollution?