The Earth’s crust is made of different types of rocks. Rocks play an important role in the formation of soil. Soil is formed because of weathering and decomposition of rocks. Rocks also contain many minerals. Important uses of rocks are
Important uses of rocks
- Rocks have played a great part in the development of civilisations.
- Early men made tools out of rocks and stones. Quartzite was mostly used to make various stone tools.
- Rocks are also used for building many structures. For example, the Red Fort is made of red sandstone and the Taj Mahal is made of white marble.
- Small stones made of rocks are used in playing various games.
- Rocks are used in the construction of many buildings such as granite.
- Rocks have invaluable deposits of minerals. Coal and petroleum are used as fuel. Iron, gold and aluminium are used in various industries.
- Fossils are found in sedimentary rocks. They are a great source of energy.
Also, Read Igneous Rocks