Coal is the most abundant conventional source of energy which could last for at least 200 years. Coal is an important mineral in India. It occurs as a sedimentary rock in association with carbonaceous shale, sandstone, and fine clay. Coal was formed by the decomposition of large land plants and trees buried under the Earth about 300 million years ago. Sediments began to get deposited over the pile of trees and plants. The resultant heat and pressure resulted in physical and chemical changes leading to the formation of coal. Important Advantages and Disadvantages of Coal are discussed below
Advantages and Disadvantages of Coal
Advantages of Using Coal
- It is an important source of power for running machines, trains, ships, and dynamos.
- Coal is used in the manufacturing of iron and steel.
- It is a source of direct heat for domestic purposes, burning bricks, tiles, and iron and brass factories.
- When coal is burnt in a closed chamber, a variety of chemicals such as ammonia and benzol are obtained as by-products.
Disadvantages of Using Coal
- The calorific value of coal found in India is low.
- Coal reserves in India are scattered and limited.
- The cost of production and transportation of coal is very high.
- The burning of coal results in large-scale pollution.
Renewable and Nonrenewable Resources
We can say that all economic activities in the country will come to a standstill if it does not have access to different energy sources. Thus, energy is the most important component of the economic infrastructure of a country. It is vital for a country’s growth and development. On the basis of renewability, resources can …
Sources of Energy
Not even a single day can be imagined without the use of energy. We can say that all economic activities in the country will come to a standstill if it does not have access to different sources of energy. Thus, energy is the most important component of the economic infrastructure of a country.
Importance of Energy
Over the years, with the growth and development, the demand for energy has considerably increased. Various sources of energy have been increasingly brought to use. However, with the increasing use, the pattern of energy consumption has undergone a considerable change.
NOW, Improve Your English Skills