Pacific Ocean (Area: 166,240,000 sq. km) is the largest ocean in the world. It is the deepest ocean with an average depth of 4,200 m.
- The Explorer Ferdinand Magellan, who Circumnavigated the Earth, named the ocean ‘Pacific’ meaning calm or peaceful.
- It is the largest and the deepest ocean in the world. It is oval.
- It is bounded by North America and South America in the east and Asia and Australia in the west.
- It has a much shorter and more regular coastline and has fewer harbours than the Atlantic Ocean.
- Because its shores are not bordered by very fertile and commercial lands, it is commercially less important than the Atlantic Ocean.
- The Mariana Trench, the deepest known point on the Earth’s surface with a depth of 11,033 m, is located in the Pacific Ocean.