Vegetation that grows in a natural region without any human interference is known as natural vegetation. A natural region is a basic geographic unit that is characterized by its common natural features of geography, geology, and climate. Climate is a basic factor upon which natural regions are divided. It influences flora, fauna, and vegetation in the region. Climate is classified on factors such as temperature, winds, pressure, humidity, rainfall, landforms, types of soil, natural vegetation, and wildlife. Based on these factors, the world is divided into various natural regions such as the equatorial region, tropical grasslands, tropical deserts, tropical monsoon type of climate, the Mediterranean region, China type of climate, temperate grasslands, temperate deserts, and taiga and tundra regions.
Tropical Monsoon Climate
Natural Vegetation and Animals in Tropical Monsoon Climate
- There is a variety of natural vegetation in the tropical monsoon type of climate. Regions that receive more than 200 cm of rainfall annually have tropical evergreen forests.
- The trees are dense and tall. Climbers, shrubs, ferns, and bamboos grow on the forest floor. Western slopes of the Western Ghats, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, and the islands in the Indian Ocean have this kind of forest.
- Areas that receive rainfall of about 100 cm have tropical monsoon deciduous forests. These trees shed their leaves to preserve water during the dry season.
- Elephants, lemurs, monkeys, foxes, and rhinoceros are found in this type of climate.
This type of climate has three distinct seasons — summers, winters, and rainy. The region has hot summers with cool winters.
Human Adaptation in Tropical Monsoon Climate
- Agriculture is the main occupation of the people. It however mostly depends on rainfall.
- Apart from food crops such as wheat, rice, barley, and maize, cash crops such as cotton, tea, coffee, and sugarcane are also planted.
YOU MAY READ
Vegetation that grows in a natural region without any human interference is known as natural vegetation. A natural region is a basic geographic unit that is characterized by its common natural features of geography, geology, and climate. Read more