The Second World War was the most destructive war in history.
Destruction caused by the Second World War
The destruction caused by the Second World War are as follow:
- Jews were picked up and six million of them were exterminated by the Nazis. Millions of people were transferred to concentration camps and killed.
- People were burnt in gas chambers. There were mass massacres. War prisoners were made to dig mass graves, were shot and then buried in those graves.
- About 5,00,00,000 (fifty million) people perished in the Second World War. About 15,00,000 civilians were killed in air raids during the war. The two Atom Bombs dropped by U.S. aircrafts, killed about 3,20,000 Japanese men, women and children.
- Besides the loss of human lives, the economy and material resources of several nations were badly damaged. Several ancient cities and towns were almost completely destroyed. The total cost of the Second World War has been estimated at the staggering figure of $ 1,384, 9,000,000,000.
- The use of Atom Bomb by the U.S. was considered by several people an abominable act, not only because of the number of people that the two atom bombs slaughtered but also because of the very use of the new weapons of mass destruction.
- Anyhow, the prediction of the scientists that the use of the Atom Bomb would lead to a mad race for producing atomic weapons came true. It is not surprising that today there is a race among nations for producing Atom Bombs because of its superiority as a war weapon. The rich and developed nations spend more money in making these bombs today, than for producing or providing medical facilities to its people.
(a) Germany was divided into two parts—East Germany and West Germany. Russia occupied the eastern part and Western Germany came under the control of Britain, America, and France.
(b) Fascism met its end in Italy. Democracy was established. Militarism came to an end and African colonies were lost.
(c) Military power of Japan was ruined. Democratic Government was set up.
(d) America and erstwhile U.S.S.R. became powerful nations. The world became divided into two blocks i.e., capitalist and socialist.
In the socialist camp two groups emerged:
1. Socialist Russia.
2. Communist China.
Read more about World War ii